Monday, June 08, 2009

Do You Speak My Language?

I was called out to assist a funeral home in supporting a family who had experienced a tragic loss last Friday.

We met with 5 kids and assorted adults, all victims of a car crash on the highway that killed two parents when they were ejected from their van. The family members were Hispanic and spoke very little English. We worked with an interpreter.

I learned a lot that day: Kleenex, teddy bears and tears are the same, no matter what language you speak. The range of emotions we each go through is the same no matter what your culture and a hug is still a hug, whether it is in Spanish, French or Chinese.

When I first met the family members, I told them "I don't know your language, but I do speak the language of a hurting heart and I am sorry for your losses." That was all it took to start a dialog of coping.

These people have a long way to go in their healing, but they've got their start and each other.

Do you speak the language of the heart? Who can you share your heart with today?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home