Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Itsy Bitsy Spider

I had a brief break yesterday when I found myself playing hide-and-seek with a spider in my home.

He was quite cute; small and compact with black fur and he appeared above the door to my patio. I went to grab him and save him with a quick toss out the door to his prefered living space.
It's as if he sensed danger and didn't trust my intentions. He immediately hid between the door jam and the wall, just out of reach from my helpful hand. In a minute, he peeked out from his spot, tentatively stretching out a leg and smoothly moving around the wood to open wall space.

Again, I reached up to grab him and he retreated between wood and wall. Smart little guy, I'll give him that. Our game continued for another round and then came a client call and I had to give up my rescue attempts and take care of business.

Today I was cleaning up the kitchen and rinsing off the breakfast dish sitting in the sink. I turned on the water and noticed something dark by the drain. It was my furry spider pal, headed to his death as he sank from the sink in a pool of water.

I didn't want that to happen and felt badly that this spider met his demise due to my carelessness. And it was a reminder to me of how short life really is. One day you're hanging out on the wall, the next your at the bottom of the sewer wondering "what happened?"

So today I have a renewed appreciation for this place called "life" and I hope that you do too. Life is precious and there's nothing like a death to remind us that is so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home