Monday, May 25, 2009

What are you fighting for?

It's Memorial Day today and I am giving thanks for all the men and women who protect us afar and at home. There are many we don't know who are watching out for us.

I have to confess, I don't always believe that is true. So often I find people who appear to be unaware of those around them, focused purely on their needs in the moment and not thinking of others. For example, at the mall bookstore today I noticed many parents on the floor with their kids, reading books to them.

I'm all for teaching kids to read and for parents spending time with their children, but isn't that what the library is for? Kids with grimey hands and parents sneezing over the store's books turned me off, for sure.

Maybe I missed the days of having my mom read to me or am grieving the time to spend with family that way, I don't know. But it really bothered me and I thought about saying something to the store clerk, seeking agreement from her as to the rudeness displayed by her store's patrons.

Then I just stopped my thoughts and told myself, "get over it. At least they care enough to read to their kids. At least they have the right and the freedom to drive to the store and take time to read, without fear of attack on their personal safety." I realized I could shift my perspective in an instant and put down my "weapon of mass destruction": my mind and my mouth.

I had to ask "What are you really fighting for?" and answer it. After examination, it didn't rate up there with world wars and terrorist attacks. I had to surrender and allow my emotions to move up the vibrational scale and find a better feeling thought.

Can you do the same? Can you give yourself the gift of choosing the battles you fight with grace?

You know you're protected and guided on your path. I give thanks for the men and women who are serving this country, and us, no matter at what level.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home