Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Rewarded for Denying Grief?

Okay, I've calmed down now.

I was reading Tuesday's paper and noticed a blurb about a movie director praising Liam Neeson's professionalism on the set, despite Neeson's grief over the recent loss of his wife.

The article said "A colleague of Liam Neeson's says the actor showed remarkable professionalism in returning to work so soon after the death of wife Natasha Richardson."

I first read that to mean that Neeson was being rewarded for showing up to work, despite coping with a broken heart. Nwo I think it is just saying his co-workers were impressed that he was able to give of himself in this trying time.

The article pushed a button for me because I don't think you can put a cookie cutter timetable on grief recovery. And I hate this concept that you get three days off for bereavement leave because that's all the corporate giants will give you. Like everything is fine and back to normal after three days! Grrrr. It just supports this society's notion to put a bandaid over our feelings and ignore the heart of us.

I understand Neeson's commitment to his work ethic. I just hope he has the same commitment to himself and his own grieving process and can really honor his emotions as he rides the roller coaster of grief.

Are you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home