Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Color Purple

The basket of pens was there and so was my journal. Meditation music was playing and I was focused on my gratitude. I reached for a pen and pulled out a purple one.

I instantly thought of my deceased Aunt Lois, who's favorite color was purple. This thought was surprising to me, since she died over a year ago and, to be honest, she wasn't the most endearing of people in my circle of friends and relatives to remember.

Still, I am thankful for her introducing me to the ocean and beach that I love and for taking me on nice trips for my summer vacations. I still see Peter's eyes on the New England tour bus she took my cousin and me on. Ahhh, young love. Or rather, young crush! Her financial gifts for holidays always came in handy, though without much expressed love to accompany them.

So Aunt Lois, wherever you are now, I hope you are relaxed and enjoying the next step of your journey. I hope you see that its okay to just accept others for who they are and to just "be" in your life, without attachments or judgments. And that relationships are here to be treasured and valued-not just with money, but with heart.

I guess I received a few more lessons from Lois than I thought I had. Thank you, Aunt Lois.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ann,

The color purple also happen to be my favorite. [Full disclosure: Ann is my wifes cousin].

No, Aunt Lois was not really warm and fuzzy. But you could tell she was a caring person. Perhaps her upbringing had its own challenges.

That's all. Sorry if this is a bit off topic.

See you, Don

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home