Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Graduating

I don't even have to leave my house and I feel it. Do you?

It's the anticipation of hundreds of school children as they prepare to be released from the confines of the hallowed halls and move forward into summer. I remember the sense of freedom I felt on that last day of school and how I eagerly looked forward to three months of 'doing nothing.'

That was, until my senior year of high school. Then I experienced the whole range of emotions: excitement, fear, anticipation and sadness. There was much to look forward to, but at the same time I was sad to leave my familiar surroundings and my friends.

Can you relate? And don't those feelings follow us through all the stages of our lives? We "graduate" to a new job, a new city, a new relationship, a new religion and a new outlook on life. Good or bad, we are constantly coping with little losses all the time.

So how to handle that awareness? For me, I allow each moment to flow, giving thanks for the people and experiences who have led me to this point in time. Then I turn my attention forward to what I want to create next. The memories are always with me, but I have "graduated" to the next step of the journey.

It is only a moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home